Thursday, March 3, 2011

And where he goes I'll follow....

Sing with me: 


"Love him, I love him, I love him

And where he goes I'll follow, I'll follow, I'll follow


I will follow him, follow him wherever he may go

There isn't an ocean too deep
A mountain so high it can keep me away....."



Little Peggy March had it right.  But I don't think she knew the life of a military wife.  A military wife will follow him; follow him wherever he may go, or at least where Army tells him to go.  "There are many oceans too deep, and mountains filled with terrorists that keep...keep me away from him."  


When I said "I do" to a sweet, handsome, 27 year old man, on a hot July, 8, 2006, I  said, "I do" to the Army as well.  Being married to military is not easy. I knew that even when I said "yes" to the question a poor soldier home for 2 weeks R&R from his second deployment to Iraq, asked me on May 5, 2005!  I have endured a lot most marriages don't encounter in a lifetime.  Does that make my marriage better or stronger?  Pfff, No! So why do I do it? Because, like Peggy March said in her song, "I love him"


I have found it hard, being a military brat,  to move from state to state, following my father's Air Force duty stations.  I vowed then as a child, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER do what my mother and grandmothers had to do being married to military.  Apparently, I didn't run too far. I instantly was attracted by the uniform and the sexy man dressed in it.  So, here I am yet again, this time as an adult, packing my belongings and following my husband wherever the Army takes us.  


From Ft.Bragg, NC, a cute little couple with a baby on the way, watched as their belongings were packed away, to soon meet again in a few weeks to be unloaded in their new home.  Upon arrival into Ft.Rucker, AL, not knowing a soul, we managed.  We started our family with a little bundle of joy born on New Years Day, January 2011.  And its been here where we've been going through flight school. ( I do believe that when my Aviator finally graduates from flight school, they should have a separate wing pinning ceremony for the wives!)


Now after almost 2 years of the husbands grueling flight school, and the light at the end of the tunnel being only three months away, we finally received news yesterday evening where the Army will be sending us next. With a small say in the matter of which choice our number 1 post would be, we anxiously awaited to hear whether we were granted that or whether we would have to settle for the number 2 choice . Our number 3 choice (in my mind) was NOT an option! 


The Kruger family is headed to Ft.Campbell, Kentucky! Now, my joy isn't necessarily for Kentucky, but it was the better choice of the three.  When I dreamed of places to live, I never thought it would be places like Alabama and Kentucky. Growing up, I lived in Kansas and Missouri, with a small portion of my youth in Los Angeles, California. After my Dad's "retirement" (sounds better than being "riffed" from the Air Force) we relocated permanently to Ft.Bragg/Fayetteville,  North Carolina.  So, my only exciting moments of travel to speak of are when I was in college. I was blessed enough to live and study  in London, England for a semester. I toured other countries while living there, so at least I did have that in my travel diaries. But,  I don't think with my Soldier, now turned Aviator, we will be doing much overseas hopping with the Army's expense.  The only "trip" he will be taking will be another deployment and thats one trip, where family is not allowed to go on, nor would I want to.  


So, as I prepare for the next duty station, I have some excitements and some fears.  I am excited to start fresh and new in a new place.  I am excited to meet new people and explore the area and see the sites. I am excited to decorate our new "home" whether it be on or off post housing.  The fear comes in the bigger things. I fear travelling with a toddler in tow and 2 cats.  My pilot will inevitably be due to deploy in the next few months after we arrive, leaving me with me with a full household in a city with no family.  My fears are more than I let on, but I know its the fear of the unknown too that will eventually go away


There is a lot to prepare, a lot to think about, but I am ready!  I'm mentally preparing for the deployment. I am mentally preparing for the new changes.  But, being a military brat hasn't made me an expert.  It's just made me strong enough to accept change.  Now, I just wonder how my baby girl will take change.  


I will follow him....follow him wherever he may go....packing all of my things in bubble wrap, cardboard boxes, and lots of tape....why?? Because - "I love him, I love and where he goes I'll follow, I'll follow..." 




1 comment:

  1. We're headed there too!! And it was our second choice too :)

    ReplyDelete